In order to work on coding in Ruby and participating on a team project, you need to set up some accounts and services.
Safety and Security
We use several third-party services as part of this course and therefore encourage you to be particularly careful in managing your personal data when working with these services. We will continue to remind you of specific practices you should follow while working on your individual and team projects.
In specific, for this assignment:
- You may use a non-identifiable, non-Grinnell email addresses to sign up for new accounts. If you already have a GitHub account from CSC207, you may continue to use that one
- Use non-identifiable display names when you create new accounts in Heroku
Throughout the course, we will use these tools for communication, development, and group coordination.
Set up accounts with these services (if you don’t already have them):
- https://github.com – Version control while creating your individual project, learning Ruby on Rails, and participating in the group/team project.
- https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cloud9/latest/user-guide/setup-express.html – online integrated development environment for individual homework assignments and team project
- https://www.heroku.com – Deploy rails apps (needed during the Rails tutorial and for project deployment)
Submit on Pioneer Web: a text document (or a PDF file) with the name of the various services and your id for that service
The content of your submission should look like this:
Name: Barbara Z. Johnson Email: firstname.lastname@example.org GitHub id: umdbzj AWS Cloud 9 id: email@example.com Heroku id: umdbzj
Also, post a message in our Microsoft Teams Working Group, which is titled “CSC-324: Software Design and Dev” or send me a private message so that I know you can access it.
This is an easy assignment designed to 1) test that Pioneer Web’s assignment submission system is working and 2) to get some accounts set up in good time for use while creating your individual project since some services may take up to 24 hours to be configured and ready.
5 points possible, one point for each:
- GitHub id:
- AWS Cloud9 id:
- Heroku id:
- Post or send me a message in our Microsoft Teams Working Group