Social Media Handling of:
- Factually incorrect political messaging
General Types of Software Design or Computer Engineering Ethics Case Studies
- Johnson, Aaron M., and Sidney Axinn. “THE MORALITY OF AUTONOMOUS ROBOTS.” Journal of Military Ethics, vol. 12, no. 2, 2013, pp. 129-141.
- The New York Times. A.I. Is Making it Easier to Kill (You). Here’s How. | New York Times. Published on Youtube.com. Dec 13, 2019. access at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFD_Cgr2zho
- Jonah M. Kessel. Killer Robots Aren’t Regulated. Yet. The New York Times. Dec. 13, 2019 access at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/technology/autonomous-weapons-video.html
Boeing Flight Software Update
Elections and Computer Use
Machine Bias (AI, Facial Recognition, and Machine Learning)
- ACM’s Statement on Principles and Prerequisites for the Development, Evaluation and Use of Unbiased Facial Recognition Technologies. (Jun 2020).
- Angwin, Julia, et al. “Machine Bias.” ProPublica, Pro Publica Inc., 23 May 2016, Access reading.
- Buolamwini, Joy and Gebru, Timnit. 2018. Gender Shades: Intersectional Accuracy Disparities in Commercial Gender Classification. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:1–15. Retrieved from: http://proceedings.mlr.press/v81/buolamwini18a/buolamwini18a.pdf
- Hill, Kasmir. Wrongfully Accused by an Algorithm. New York Times. June 24, 2020. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/technology/facial-recognition-arrest.html
Security Flaws in Operating Systems
(In some cases, you might want to argue that the parties involved acted ethically ….)
Selling Databases or User Data
- Luerweg, Frank. “The Internet Knows You Better Than Your Spouse Does.” Scientific American. March 4, 2019. Access online
- Toysmart Case
Paul Mozur, Raymond Zhong and “In Coronavirus Fight, China Gives Everyone a Color Code with Red Flags.” New York Times. March 1, 2020. Access online (possibly behind a paywall)
Maras, Marie-Helen, and Alex Alexandrou. “Determining Authenticity of Video Evidence in the Age of Artificial Intelligence and in the wake of Deepfake videos.” The International Journal of Evidence & Proof. Oct 28, 2018. Access reading.