Social Media Handling of:
- Factually incorrect political messaging
General Types of Software Design or Computer Engineering Ethics Case Studies
- Johnson, Aaron M., and Sidney Axinn. “THE MORALITY OF AUTONOMOUS ROBOTS.” Journal of Military Ethics, vol. 12, no. 2, 2013, pp. 129-141.
- The New York Times. A.I. Is Making it Easier to Kill (You). Here’s How. | New York Times. Published on Youtube.com. Dec 13, 2019. access at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFD_Cgr2zho
- Jonah M. Kessel. Killer Robots Aren’t Regulated. Yet. The New York Times. Dec. 13, 2019 access at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/technology/autonomous-weapons-video.html
Boeing Flight Software Update
Elections and Computer Use, including security issues
- Gerrymandering Algorithms
- Cushing, Tim. (2020). E-Voting App Maker Voatz Asks The Supreme Court To Let It Punish Security Researchers For Exposing Its Flaws. Access at TechDirt (online)
Machine Bias (AI, Biased Algorithms, Facial Recognition, and Machine Learning)
- ACM’s Statement on Principles and Prerequisites for the Development, Evaluation and Use of Unbiased Facial Recognition Technologies. (Jun 2020).
- Angwin, Julia, et al. “Machine Bias.” ProPublica, Pro Publica Inc., 23 May 2016, Access reading.
- Buolamwini, Joy and Gebru, Timnit. 2018. Gender Shades: Intersectional Accuracy Disparities in Commercial Gender Classification. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:1–15. Retrieved from: http://proceedings.mlr.press/v81/buolamwini18a/buolamwini18a.pdf
- Hill, Kasmir. Wrongfully Accused by an Algorithm. New York Times. June 24, 2020. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/technology/facial-recognition-arrest.html
- Walker, Henry. Bias in Algorithms – Misuses of Big Data Sets
Security Flaws in Operating Systems
(In some cases, you might want to argue that the parties involved acted ethically ….)
Selling Databases or User Data
- Luerweg, Frank. “The Internet Knows You Better Than Your Spouse Does.” Scientific American. March 4, 2019. Access online
- Toysmart Case
Paul Mozur, Raymond Zhong and “In Coronavirus Fight, China Gives Everyone a Color Code with Red Flags.” New York Times. March 1, 2020. Access online (possibly behind a paywall)
Maras, Marie-Helen, and Alex Alexandrou. “Determining Authenticity of Video Evidence in the Age of Artificial Intelligence and in the wake of Deepfake videos.” The International Journal of Evidence & Proof. Oct 28, 2018. Access reading.