- Read the current version of the ACM Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct [PDF Version]. You may want to bookmark this and have it handy in order to discuss the issues raised in the case study below.
- Read this article summarizing ethical frameworks: Making Choices: A Framework for Making Ethical Decisions from Brown University to help guide your discussion about applied ethics (pages 6 – 9 are most applicable).
- Be prepared to discuss the Therac-25 case study in terms of the ACM’s Code of Ethics. A summary is available at the bottom of the class exercise page.
- Watch today’s video lecture (in PioneerWeb or YouTube) and ask questions in the Q & A Discussion forum
- Review the Ethics Case Study assignment page. This final paper will be due 10/16, but there are several, in-progress assignments designed to assist your writing process.
- Attend class and do the class exercise in small groups (link to the General channel)
- Write your topic proposal. Use this worksheet to help you get started. The topic proposal will be due 9/24.
- I have a long list of possible case studies available. Additionally, if you are a student member of ACM, you may be able to find new articles in the ACM TechNews.