Since this course focuses on leadership in an Agile software development environment, you are expected to read at least one book or several articles on the topic. These are some suggestions, but you are free to propose another. Check with your instructor to see if your selected reading is acceptable.
Note: some of the suggested books are about leadership in general rather than strictly focused on software development.
Possible articles on leading a remote Agile team
- Damian, D., Lassenius, C., Paasivaara, M., Borici, A., & Schröter, A. (2012, June). Teaching a globally distributed project course using Scrum practices. In 2012 Second International Workshop on Collaborative Teaching of Globally Distributed Software Development (CTGDSD) (pp. 30-34). IEEE. PDF available at: researchgate.net.
- Deemer, P. (2011). The Distributed Scrum Primer. available at: http://goodagile.com/distributedscrumprimer/
- Fowler, M. (2006) Using an Agile Software Process with Offshore Development. Retrieve from his site: https://www.martinfowler.com/articles/agileOffshore.html
- Radigan, D. Think globally, code locally: The secret to remote teams. Atlassian Agile Coach.
- Sepulveda, C. (2003, June). Agile development and remote teams: learning to love the phone. In Proceedings of the Agile Development Conference, 2003. ADC 2003 (pp. 140-145). IEEE. PDF available at salisbury.edu
- Shrivastava, Suprika Vasudeva & Date, Hema. (2010). Distributed Agile Software Development: A Review. Journal of Computer Science and Engineering, Volume 1, Issue 1, p10-17, May 2010. The PDF is available for download. Access at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1006.1955
Possible books and articles on leadership
- Coaching Agile Teams by Lyssa Adkins
- Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box by the Arbinger Institute
- On Becoming a Leader by Warren Bennis
- Outward Bound Lessons to Live a Life of Leadership by Mark Michaux Brown
- Fun Retrospectives by Paulo Caroli and Tainã Caetano available at: https://leanpub.com/funretrospectives/c/caroli-org
- Leading Without Authority, by Keith Ferrazzi
- The Dark Side of Agile Software Development, a paper by Andrea James and Giancarlo Succi available at: http://darkagilemanifesto.org/dark-side-of-agile-janes-succi-splash-2012.pdf
- Inclusify: The Power of Uniqueness and Belonging to Build Innovative Teams by Stefanie K. Johnson
- Reinventing Organizations by Frederic Laloux
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization by Peter Senge.
- The Great ScrumMaster by Zuzana Sochova
- Scrum Mastery: From Good to Great Leadership by Geoff Watts, Rebecca Traeger, et al.